Sunday, January 27, 2008

Bahasa berbunga

I've always been very fond of the English language. English has always been my favourite subject in school. Essays. Stories. Literatures. Poems. I like the way the language could be blended to create something new. It's sort of an art, you know. To play around with words and phrases. I am fascinated with how one word could bring so many different meanings and how so many other words could mean the very same thing. That is why I am very into English novels and movies. There is always something new to learn and there won't be an ending. You can never stop learning.

It's most probably attibutted to the way I was brought up. I grew up in a very "English" environment. I use English at home. I mingle with English speaking people in school. I was exposed to English materials. Coming to think about it, I know no other languages other than English and BM during my childhood years. Me and my best friend even thought about publishing our own storybook back then. Yeah. We wrote stories then. Only that it was never completed and it was, of course, not published. The book was lost in time anyway. But I could still remember the story that we were working on. I still love to write. That is why you see me here.

I use to have this thinking that English is superior. It is, after all, a universal language. If you don't speak proper English, you'd lose out man. So it doesn't really bother me when other friends labelled me as a "banana". It means Chinese people who doesn't know how to speak their native language. Cause I never really liked any other languages. To me, English is everything. Yes, I'm arrogant. Lolz.

It was not too long ago that I've realised that this other language is beautiful in its own way as well. Particularly in music lyrics and movie scripts. It's more expressive. It's more gentle. If it's phrased in a proper manner, the sentences they bring can be real touching and meaningful. It can be more complicated than English but if you understand those complications, you''ll see the beauty in it. Yes, it is Mandarin. I was introduced to it by current friends of mine. Because they are all Chinese educated, I was sort of "forced" to pick up the language, just to be in line with them.

But I've not regretted it since. Although I'm still rather slow in it. I don't really read Mandarin. But I guess my speaking abilities are okay la. They are okay rite? At least I understand what people are saying and they understand what I'm saying. I am still trying to figure out the full meaning of music lyrics that I like. You know la. If you understand partially only, you'd be damn frustrated. And I got addicted to Taiwanese dramas lately. Got influenced by some people. They are good. They keep u thinking about it. Haha.

But my love for English still stays on la. Although I've been a little diverted to Mandarin. =P

0 whispered:

Blog Archive

About Me

Pampered. Rebellious. Princess.

When words get unspoken...

Copyright © The Voice Within | Powered by Blogger
Design by Blog Oh! Blog | Blogger Theme by NewBloggerThemes.com