Wednesday, July 21, 2010

First 2 weeks....

So, I've been here for 2 weeks....

The work load has been mounting each passing day. The previous fella didn't get anything straight. None of the problems were solved. Internally and externally. So there have been complaints coming in from every corner. I am here to fix things. One at a time. Or so I hope.

I have moved into my new room, although it still stinks with paint. Thus, I've used alot of air fresheners and blasting the air conditioning. I'm in the midst of preparing my pot of plant to be brought into my room. Can't find a suitable seed. But sadly, no, the room is not huge enough for me to have my own lounge in it, or even a mini bar.

Still getting adjusted to the new position and authority. I have brought in the way I used to work back at my old place. You know, something like when I want this report, I mean I want it NOW. And I don't tolerate excuses such as busy or too many things on hand. Back then, you are suppose to manage your own time accordingly. But at this place, they have no clue about urgency and stress. If you throw them more work, they'll give you this expression, "Huh? Another report? But I've already got ONE report on hand...." They'll get confused, disorientated and ended up lost. Something which I could not accept. Time to turn things around. My way!

Unlike back in those days where we speak in a common language and everyone works as part of a team, things are rather different here. I guess it's usual in the commercial line. Certain people never understood English. Or pretend not to understand. And, don't be surprised, mini war springs into full mode the moment you start your day. Conflicts. Disagreements. Hard feelings. Back stabbing. Politics. Two-faced. Fake smiles. If you bring up the GM, they bring up the BOD.

Been experiencing culture shocks. From where I came from, we mingle with the bosses. Here, people try NOT to mingle with the bosses. So I'm left in between wondering to mingle or not to mingle. Back then, 7 pm is when the office becomes alive. Dinners. Chats. Drinks. Games. Now? You'll be pressured not to leave by 7 pm.The lights are all out. Not a single soul will be around. They used to call me by my nick name. Now they call me by my surname. Damn! It's so formal.

I've established my own 'gang'. A clan. Well, I do need allies. Everyone does. They are my lunch mates and my gossiping mates. It's not easy to find people of the same age once you've ventured out. At least, they could provide some help in times of need. Although this might sound a little sampat, but I have my own phone! It's a scarce resource in the old days you know. We had to run around looking for one. Now I can be sure that when the phone rings, it will be someone looking for me. Me and only me.

It is indeed my first time out of a protected environment. It's everything on my own now. No more managers to cover me. No more directors to cover me. No more bosses to cover me. If you screw up means you screw up. It's everyone for their own mess.

Let's do see what happens in another 2 weeks.

2 whispered:

-the observer- said...

A good summary of your first two weeks. Thumbs up!

But I have a list of question on your application of leadership/management skill. Just a discussion to know what are your thoughts about your style.

You communicate with them on the time line of the task given? I mean: it's impossible when you give one person 2 reports and expect him/her to finish it 'NOW' right?

When they get confused, disoriented and lost, it's a sign of disruption towards your staff's productivity. Did you lead them back to the correct path or do you let them solve the problem themselves?

It is not wrong that you have your own style of work, and employees must adapt to their boss' style. How do you communicate to them your style? You give them a briefing or you let them analyze you?

Well, it seems that the culture in your company of not mingling with bosses is understandable. And since the company is still new, it is easily adjusted right? i.e. lunch to ice break among yr staff.

Argh! There is nothing more complex than management skills. >.<

P.S. take your time answering this. I know you are bz. :p

*~fui~* said...

Fuyoh...macam Q&A session pulak.. well, here is my style..results not proven yet...lol!

1) well, it's possible you know..on the timeline. for eg; i need the cashflow of this mth for BOD review NOW as well as the past yr's expenses analysis for GM's review NOW. There, 2 reports, same time. I was trained to multi-task. LOL!

2) on the confused part..they are not kids. they've got emotions and pride. they might not tell u when they are faced with probs, which might show they are incapable. or they are afraid to let u knw. i wont push them too hard. will juz be friendly and tell them to come look for me if there are probs. or if they really are unproductive, then i'll go over, ask wat's the status & teach them the rite way.

3) briefing on my style? hell no! whn they get too comfortable with the previous style, it's kinda hard to get them to change. so i'll let them analyze and adapt slowly. u can't be too forceful either, whn some of them are much older than u.

4) sometime it's the bosses who doesnt want to mingle. to maintain a certain level of authority. and by not mingling, communication & understanding breaks off. if it's tough to change ur staff, it's even tougher to change ur boss.

i totally agree mgmt skills are complex. worse still whn ur at middle mgmt. up and down oso u got to jaga. not to affend both sides while getting the job done.

sigh!

Blog Archive

About Me

Pampered. Rebellious. Princess.

When words get unspoken...

Copyright © The Voice Within | Powered by Blogger
Design by Blog Oh! Blog | Blogger Theme by NewBloggerThemes.com