Monday, July 16, 2012

The "perks" of being unemployed

The subject itself is a taboo. No one brags about being unemployed. It is unheard of in this society of ours. It's a shame. So many interviewers were skeptical on someone that has been out of job for such a long time. If you are not working and not attached to an organisation, something is surely very wrong with you. They must be thinking, "How can you not be working? Everyone has got to work." I bet the family has the exact same thoughts in mind, although they have yet to voice them out. Even friends are amazed at the number of months I spent bumming around. "You are still not working yet? How do you survive?" The basic perception is always that no one would be able to survive this fast paced society without a steady job on hand. It is a MUST to have a job!

Oh well, things are rather different for me. I believe it's all in the mind. And right now, my mind is telling me not to rush into things. That I ought to take some time to really think which path I intend to take. I shall, from now on, not to let others influence me on which route I ought to head to. So, before I have all that figured out, I shall indulge myself in all the "luxury" that all you working class peeps can't enjoy. *Grin*

- No peak hours traffic. I get to choose when to head out. Of course I am not contributing to the massive traffic jams that KL is so famous for. It's a relief not having to drive bumper-to-bumper for a couple of months. 

- No crowds at the malls. I get to go shopping without having to fuss about parking spaces and long queues. Oh, what joy!

- Movies, at my pleasure. I get to walk right into any cinema and watch whichever movie I felt like watching, without having to worry if there are tickets.

- More quality time with the family. I get to take my parents out for lunch and for tea. Or to visit some relatives, even. Things that I didn't get the time to do when I was working.

- Chilling with the sister, when she returned for a break. Having all the time in the day to gossip over Starbucks.

- Picked up a hobby. Took an interest in art and did a little painting, over good music and a cup of coffee. One of the best feelings ever. 

- Pampered myself. I had more time for grooming, beauty and health. Did more facials, manicures and hair treatments. Never felt so much better. And not to mention, so much more ample sleep.

- Slouching. Got the entire day just lazing on the couch, either to watch the TV dramas over and over again or to cuddle up with a fiction novel and get immersed in the world of fantasy.

- Catch ups. Lunches here and there. Dinners off and on. It's wonderful to be able to re-connect with close ones.

Of course there are still more to be done. Am already having plans for that volunteer work, that dance lesson and even may be try a little embroidery. And not to mention some traveling, when I can finally decide on the next place to visit. Some friends have been complaining that I was busier now than I was back when I was working.

I must say, life has been enjoyable so far. Being unemployed is not that bad. I am feeling so much at ease, so relaxed and so at peace. If I could, I wouldn't want to return to the days when I was all stressed up over deadlines and worried about beating peak hours traffic.

Well, perhaps the only worry I have now is to find a solution when the savings eventually runs out. 

0 whispered:

Blog Archive

About Me

Pampered. Rebellious. Princess.

When words get unspoken...

Copyright © The Voice Within | Powered by Blogger
Design by Blog Oh! Blog | Blogger Theme by NewBloggerThemes.com