Monday, June 21, 2010

Jobless? Oh No!!!

As most of you know, I quit my previous employment without a new one. When people found out, they went "What?? WHY???" You know. The very shock-unbelievable look. Everyone. From the security guard to the butcher at the market to the neighbours to the relatives to friends to senior management in large corporations.

The next questions running through their minds (from the next look that they portrayed), "Is there something wrong with her?", "Was she laid off?", "Did she screw up her last assignment?", "Did she do something very wrong?". It was easier to deal with the non-corporate people. I just got to act a little reckless. As with all young adults these days. "Well, I hated the job. So I left." "Nah, I wanted to take a break". "They weren't paying me very well...and it was stressful. So I took off." There. They are satisfied. Or they pretended to be satisfied. Enough to keep them from pestering me further.

It's those people in the large corporations that I needed the extra effort to explain myself. "What have you been doing all this time that you are unemployed?" "Why are you so confident that you could obtain another employment in such a short time?" "How did you survived, since you have no income?" "How did you upgrade yourself within the profession, since you have not been updated for the past months?"

I got fed-up answering them after a while. No. I actually got fed-up with the way society perceive unemployed people. It's like being a criminal. Being judged negatively. Is it so wrong to be unemployed? It's not like I wanted to stay unemployed for the rest of my life. This is just temporarily. Even if it's the case, who the hell are you to tell me that I can't? Malaysians are somewhat narrow minded. If you have no job, then you are doomed. How are you going to continue living?

Do bear in mind that in the west, this is a common phenomenon. It's not an unusual thing for professionals to take a year off to participate in volunteer projects or to learn a new skill. Mind you, it's professionals! A year off! I'm only off a few months and all the hassle has crept up. Just because this is unheard off here doesn't mean it's not been done before. And it's not wrong! Definitely not!

I was upset with all the comments before. But now, I've decided to let them all pass. No point arguing. No point trying to make them all see otherwise. I know I'm not in the wrong. The job didn't suit and I'm looking for the one that does. Simple as that. Nothing so complicated. I'm not worried either so I don't need you to worry on my behalf.

I don't intend to rush into things, so I'm taking my time in deciding. Yea, I've been labelled as fussy. But hey, this is my life man. Of course I choose the best for myself. Wouldn't you do the same? So quit coming to me every other day and go, "Hey, still no job yet?"

Spare me.

0 whispered:

Blog Archive

About Me

Pampered. Rebellious. Princess.

When words get unspoken...

Copyright © The Voice Within | Powered by Blogger
Design by Blog Oh! Blog | Blogger Theme by NewBloggerThemes.com